Instagram is a hugely popular photo sharing site with over 200 million registered users. Adding authentication for Instagram in Joomla using JFBConnect is a great way to allow new users to register or login to your site. This guide will take you through the full process of creating an Instagram Application.
Before you get started, you will need an Instagram account. If you don't already have, you'll need to create one. The only way to register on Instagram is using one of their mobile apps for iPhone or Android. There is no way to register through their website.
- Go to the Instagram Developer area: http://instagram.com/developer/
- Click the "Manage Clients" link in the top right.
- Click the green "Register a New Client" button in the top right:
- On the "Register new Client ID" page, fill out the following fields:
- Application Name - A short title for your application or site. Your website name is a good suggestion.
- Description - A longer description of your site, possibly including why the user may want to register using Instagram.
- Company Name - The name of your company
- Website URL - The full URL of your homepage.
- Valid redirect_uri - The full path to the root of your Joomla website, including http(s) and index.php:
Please note: If you have a valid SSL certificate installed on your site, you should use the https in the redirect_uri link. In JFBConnect, make sure you enable the "Use SSL For Authentication" setting in the Instagram configuration section.
- Contact Email - Email that Instagram can get in touch with you (this is not publicly available).
- Your full application setup will look something like:
- On the main Instagram Application page, save your Client ID and Secret Key settings to input into JFBConnect:
- Submit your Application for Review - Your application will initially be in Sandbox mode. In the Sandbox, only 10 users will be able to authenticate. After that, more users will not be able to login until you go through the review process. To submit your app for review:
- Go to the "Permissions" tab in your application.
- In the list for "Which use case best describes your Instagram integration"
- choose "My app allows people to login with Instagram and share their own content"
- In the "API use Case" area, describe your integration with Instagram. A good example would be:
"Our site uses Instagram authentication to allow the user to login to our site without having to register a new account"
- Video Screencast URL - You must create a video showing the authentication experience on your site using JFBConnect.
- Additional Permissions - Do not add any
- Once the above is done, click the "Submit" button.