Topic-icon JFBCLike confusing url issues

Active Subscriptions:

None
12 years 2 months ago #19033 by chrjon
bigupwords.co.uk/festival/31-brian-stableford-at-big-up-words
[funtions same with www or without]

The Like button on the attached url correctly calls the url in the like popup box, but shows the summary info from 123-reg (who I purchased the domain name from). See attached screenshot...
File Attachment:

I have removed the sharethis links, disabled them all, uninstalled, but the problem remains the same - so I put them back. The sharethis links function correctly.

I spent all day yesterday trying to track down where the 123-reg info is coming from but could not figure it out. I have checked the DNS info and that is all correct, I checked for file(s) in the domain file system that could be being pulled in - but again no luck.

Hope you can help, and that it is a simple solution :-)

Chris.
The topic has been locked.
Active Subscriptions:

None
12 years 2 months ago #19035 by mtk
Replied by mtk on topic JFBCLike confusing url issues

chrjon wrote: bigupwords.co.uk/festival/31-brian-stableford-at-big-up-words
[funtions same with www or without]

The Like button on the attached url correctly calls the url in the like popup box, but shows the summary info from 123-reg (who I purchased the domain name from). See attached screenshot...

I have removed the sharethis links, disabled them all, uninstalled, but the problem remains the same - so I put them back. The sharethis links function correctly.

I spent all day yesterday trying to track down where the 123-reg info is coming from but could not figure it out. I have checked the DNS info and that is all correct, I checked for file(s) in the domain file system that could be being pulled in - but again no luck.

Hope you can help, and that it is a simple solution :-)

Chris.

Hello Chris,
Facebook keeps in its internal cache URLs and their respective content. therefore, if someone already liked/shared a specific URL Facebook will cache its content (title, image, description, etc) and when a second person likes/shares the same URL it take its content from FB's cache and not from the real content of the website.
FB's cache is stored for at least a week - but it's worth searching more accurate information about it over the internet.

what you can do, is 'force' FB's cache to be cleared before posting a new URL and allowing people to like it or share it. you can use FB's debugger tool: developers.facebook.com/tools/debug.
please note, that this action will not change to content of posts already posted on peoples wall, but it should fix the problem for future FB actions.

Let us know if that helps.

Mati
Active Subscriptions:

None
12 years 2 months ago #19042 by chrjon
Thanks Mati,

Running the page through facebooks debugger / scraper has fixed the issue.

HOORAY!

I was not aware of the FB cache, I will remember it forever now.

Thanks again,

Chris.

PS - Positive review posted on JED, awaiting approval.
Active Subscriptions:

None
12 years 2 months ago #19043 by mtk
Replied by mtk on topic JFBCLike confusing url issues

chrjon wrote: Thanks Mati,

Running the page through facebooks debugger / scraper has fixed the issue.

HOORAY!

I was not aware of the FB cache, I will remember it forever now.

Thanks again,

Chris.

PS - Positive review posted on JED, awaiting approval.

Hello,
I'm glad that helped you!
I can only suggest to review new pages posted to your Joomla site, with the debugger tool, before users start sharing or liking it.

Thanks for the positive review!!!

Mati