I am creating a site who use Jomsocial + Jreview and I see on many place the FB connect solution from Jomsocial is not very flexible...reason why I'm looking for your JFB solution.
I need (like everybody I thing) to get the true email of user when they use FB connect but I can't understand if this is possible if using your component. I read in many place Facebook don't allow to retrieve true user email (for avoid spam) and provide instead a fake address... but in your product page you say this is possible since version 2.6...
So with your last version it is possible to get the true email or not ??
Yup. Try it out on this site or our demo site. When a user registers via Facebook, they are given a permissions screen. In this screen, the default is for Facebook to provide the user's real email address. However, be aware that there is a small box where the user can choose to switch this to a 'proxy' email address. In this case, Facebook will provide a fake email address which, went sent to, will go through FB's servers and eventually to the user (if FB deems it not to be spam).
Generally, from our experience, most users do not choose the proxy email, but it does happen.
For full disclosure, I'm pretty sure JomSocial's latest releases have the same ability to import a user's emails. However, we do have a ton more options. For instance, on this site, we have it enabled so that if a Facebook user tries to log in, and their real email address is already in use by a Joomla user, the accounts will automatically be linked. You could try this now if the Joomla account you created (dotcom22) has a corresponding Facebook account with the same email address. This feature is, of course, configurable, as not everyone may want it.. but it's one of the many options we provide.
Hope this helps, and if you have more questions, let us know!
thank for your detailed reply..
In fact this can be strange for you but actually I have not a FB account :-) I have a good experience with Joomla since 3 years and I build many sites with but FB is not a tools I personally use for the simple reason I don't need it. The other reason is also because I care a lot about my personal data and when I hears of Facebook is often in a negative manner.
Now of course I must interest to me and well learn this Social Environment especially because I'm building a web portal and adding FB connect will help to increase the notoriety of this portal. So I plan to subscribe to FB but my primary goal with FB is to use it in a commercial way for promote my portal and not for share anything about my personal life/friend or about the personal life of people..
So I will have more questions to ask about your component but right now I must continue and finish my portal project before starting to add your FB connect.. Anyway just 2 more questions: A user who connect with FB for the first time will have his data imported (if user permit) in Joomla/Jomsocial about his real name, email, avatar, date of birth and maybe some more things...but about password what happen ? I mean if the user need to update his password he can do that in FB and it will updated in Jomsocial ?
Do you know Jreviews ? Have you some case where your stuff is used with that component ? If yes can you tell me more about ?
The email notification that came through about your post cut off after the 2nd paragraph. I didn't realize there were more questions. Here's the answers:
I mean if the user need to update his password he can do that in FB and it will updated in Jomsocial?
This depends on how you have JFBConnect setup. There are 2 methods of creating Joomla users when they register with Facebook.
* The "Facebook Only" user can only log into your site with their Facebook credentials. To update their Facebook password, they'd need to do this at Facebook's page.
* The "Full Joomla User" lets users create a separate Joomla user (their own username and password) when they register. When they return, they can either log into your site with their Joomla user credentials OR their Facebook account. To update the Joomla user's password, they do so normally on your site. To update their Facebook password, they must do that on Facebook's site.
Do you know Jreviews ? Have you some case where your stuff is used with that component? If yes can you tell me more about?
There are a few sites we have worked with users on that are using jReviews as well. The first off the top of my head is:
We don't have any demo sites of the two working together, as we simply can't create a demonstration site with every component out there on it. If you do subscribe, and you run into issues with both of the extensions, let us know. We'll be there to help.
ok no problem....
I understand more less about the 2 method registration you describe... but please correct me if I'm wrong:
1) Using "Facebook Only" permit to login in my site (assuming of course I have your stuff installed) to any person having a FB account. The fact to login is like if the user will have an account in my Joomla site (registered user) but in reality he don't have any account. This mean I will never be able to see in my Joomla backend the users infos and i will not get any user data... It is like if some "foreigner users with registered right access" come in the site for use all features reserved normally to true registered users but without having any control and any data...
2) Using "Full Joomla User" allow any person having a FB account to register to my site without need to fill the usual Joomla or Jomsocial registration form. Using this method I will get all data of users and this data will be available in my Joomla backend in the same manner if they register normally without FB.. If I have set Joomla to send activation message containing activation link to user (for check the email provided is true and correct) this change nothing and the mail provided will not be confirmed or unconfirmed in Joomla backend...
Another point: I just bought Jomsocial few days ago and I must make more deeper test with it...I'm little bit confusing about because I can't understand if the FB data fetched will be present in Jomsocial or in standard Joomla users management or in both...
Can you correct me and maybe explain me little bit more clearly how the registration process happen using method 1 and 2 and how data will be fetched inside Jomsocial ??
many thank to you
You're a little off on a few things.
Regardless of what user creation method you use, you can pull in the Facebook bio information into Joomla. The Joomla user account will get the "Full Name" from Facebook. The JomSocial User Profile will be populated with whatever data you want from the Facebook Profile. You select it using the admin interface for JFBConnect. You can see a picture of that:
http://www.sourcecoast.com/extensions/j … de?start=7
The only difference between "Facebook Only" and "Full Joomla User" is that for Facebook Only, JFBConnect will automatically assign the user a username (fb_123456, where 123456 is their Facebook User ID) and they will only be able to log in using their Facebook account. The User Manager in the backend will still show the user, but their password fields will be grayed out. In every other way, the user is treated by every component and your normal administration as a Joomla user.
The Full Joomla User is allowed to select their own username and password, which then makes them go through an extra form on initial registration. Those users can log in either with that new Joomla account or with their Facebook credentials. However they log in, they will be the 'same' user on your system.
The profile information that's imported will mostly be visible in the JomSocial administration area because Joomla does not store extended user information on its own.
The big advantages that JFBConnect has over JomSocial's built in Facebook integration is:
1) JomSocial only offers the "Full Joomla User" ability (they don't call it this, because they don't have an option), so you can't do 1-click registration.
2) JomSocial does not let you select what profile information is imported from Facebook. It's hardcoded into JomSocial, where as we let you select from a ton of fields. You can see all the fields at the page below, and JFBConnect 3.1 is going to just about double the fields you can import from:
3) Lots of configuration options for how the user can interact using Facebook.. if they're automatically logged in when they return to your site if they already are logged into Facebook, new user vs returning user redirections, etc
4) The JFBConnect "permissions" pop-up when a user registers only shows the fields you want to retrieve from their Facebook profile. JomSocial requests everything, which can be a turn-off to would be users (looks like a privacy invasion)
5) JFBConnect lets you post to a user's wall automatically on registration and return visit with a link back to your site. This is good to let their friends know about your site. This is easily disabled.
6) We include all of the social modules (Like, comments, fanbox, etc)
Hope this helps answer your questions!
This sound great :-) Many thank for your detailed reply...
Well I have many thing to do before my site become available...Anyway when I will finish to develop it I will come back and much probably I will buy your stuff... Your support is excellent and it seem your stuff too..
See you soon