Like you probably know Joomla 1.6 is now available with RC1 version and the stable version is planned for the next 10 january. I'm currently building a big website using some component already compatible with J1.6... I need to add again few components actually not compatible but it seem they will be ready under 1.6 during my developing...
Have you a time frame to give to me when your JFB connect will be also compatible ?
Now that RC1 is available, we'll be focusing on 1.6 compatibility. It's not there yet, but we think the changes should, overall, be minor from an initial standpoint. I can't give a timeframe, other than to say compatibility will not be with the 3.1 release later this month. We're gunning for one of the point-releases after that date, which could be January, but could also be in February.
The biggest development issues with Joomla 1.6, that we're aware of from a preliminary investigation, will be creating the proper user. Initially, we plan to register all users as the default user (similar to registered in Joomla 1.5). Eventually, we plan to let the admin select a user type that Facebook users' should become upon registration.
Hope that helps. It's somewhat intentionally vague because we don't want you to rest your hopes or make promises to a client based off of our timeline. Joomla 1.6, in general, will have bugs in the first release. Always be careful when jumping into a new release!
Finally, it wasn't asked, but there will not be a separate subscription for JFBConnect on 1.5 or 1.6. The same subscription would provide access to both releases.
Can't answer that yet. There's a good chance they will be separate components though due to the differences in the Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 1.6 APIs. In actuality, it would only be a few files that would differ though. It's something we're still working out.
Having a unified component sounds great, but it greatly adds to complexity with development and debugging because in many places you have to say "If 1.5, do this, if 1.6, do that". At first, it's not bad, but with Joomla moving to a 6 month schedule (supposedly) for releases, that becomes a lot of if's all over the place and eventually makes the code unmanageable. We've seen many big components that try to keep compatibility with many releases in one monolithic file eventually cause stagnation. Community Builder is a good example with the fact that when they add new features, they still have to make sure they work with Mambo.. ugh!
It'll be tough for many developers, and I don't know how each will handle each extension, including us. Hope that all makes sense!
yes I understand... Anyway from users side it will of course better to have one component both compatible.. Typically I already start my project few month ago (a big portal) under J 1.5 and when I see the progress of incoming J 1.6 (RC version is already available and stable version is planned for next 10 january) I hesitate to switch now... I have only few components (like CB) but this stuff is supposed to be compatible J 1.5 and J 1.6. Anyway I will continue the project under 1.5 reason why I try to find stuff who plan to be both compatible too for avoid problem when I will upgrade to J 1.6.
Actually is annoying because we are in a transitional period...For what I read in many blog the transition between 1.5 and 1.6 will be more longer then 1.0 to 1.5.
I hope you will go for a unified component...
Yes, the transition from 1.5 being the most popular to 1.6 being most popular will be a while, in our opinion.
As for 1 unified component vs 1 for J1.5 and 1 for J1.6. In either case, the main structure of JFBConnect will be the same, so it will be a matter of just installing the correct version to your site. Any data from JFBConnect for J1.5, we expect, will transition over to JFBConnect for J1.6 smoothly and there shouldn't be anything that breaks in the process. We do expect that JFBC for J1.6 will have a few more configuration options eventually, for the different user capabilities in J1.6 that you'd want to configure though.
In general, 2 components shouldn't be a big deal to end users as it really is a matter of installing the correct version, and beyond that, they should 'look' almost identical in both versions.
Thanks for your feedback, always good to hear.
Yes in fact in the case of your stuff I think it will be not a big deal to switch... If all data and configuration can remain finally is pretty good.
I just worry little bit because when the time to upgrade to 1.6 will come I know I will get problem with all addons installed. When you have a community site with thousands of people and articles the upgrade process will be stressing.. Is just matter to first test on a dev site for see what is the possible problem before upgrade the live site...
I'm impatient to get your stuff but first I must finish the development of my site.
Thank for your great reply...Is nice to know you provide a good support even if I'm not already a customer...
see you soon...Cheers
Joomla 1.6 definitely has some issues, even in the RC1 state. We're a little hesitant to support it, but we're still planning to have something out in Q1 of next year. Hopefully sooner, but we try not to publicize release timelines because we're small and don't always hit our own internal goals.
No problem about the support. It's what we do. We enjoy helping others, and frankly, getting feedback from non-subscribers is vital to our continued growth. Thanks for your interest, and we hope to win you over one day
No timetable. It's still a ways (months) out. We'd like to still hit the Q1 target I mentioned above, but by no means is this locked. We're putting the final touches on the next bug-fix release for JFBConnect 3.1, which we think will resolve all outstanding issues. At that point, like we did when 3.0.3 was out, we focus hard on the next release. We'd like to make JFBC 3.2 capable of running on Joomla 1.6, and 3.1 has laid some groundwork towards that goal, but there's a lot of moving parts involved, so I just can't guarantee it yet.
Out of curiosity, do you have a Joomla 1.6 site up (or will be soon)? What are your impressions of it? We've been playing with it a bit, but would like to hear how other people are using it, and plan to migrate from 1.5... or if you're working on a new site.
Thank you for your reply. It is unfortunate to hear that JFBConnect is still a several months from release as it was the last piece of the puzzle for my planned site which will be Joomla 1.6 based. While I could work Joomla 1.5 over to suit my requirements I do not want to as it only has 12~15 months of official support left before it goes EOL. I imagine that most new Joomla based sites going forward will be based on 1.6 due to this and also that a great many extensions are already (or very near to being) 1.6 native.
I have kicked the tires with Joomla 1.6 on a test site I have set up and so far so good. I have no migration plans for existing 1.5 sites at this time but I have several 1.6 based sites in the planning.
Do many big technical hurdles remain before a stable JFBConnect with Joomla 1.6 compatibility sees the light of day? Is it a matter of having 1.5 and 1.6 compatibility in one version? If so, is it possible you will branch it into two separate releases?
ps - on a side note, just to be sure, am I correct in believing that JFBConnect does not require JomSocial/CB and can be used standalone with Joomla?
While Joomla 1.5 may only be actively supported for another 12-15 months, it's anticipated that Joomla 1.6 won't have a larger installed base for about another 2 years. That's simply because of existing installations, and the stability of 1.5. While there may only be security and bug-fixes for up to 15 months, there's been 22 point-releases so far, and they've more or less squashed all outstanding bugs and security issues. The same won't be true for 1.6's stability for quite some time. That's not to say the 1.6.0 version is problematic, but it will likely have a similar point-release churn that 1.5 had in it's early life.
We really try never to lock down a date for future versions, because obstacles come up that we aren't prepared for and may move that schedule. I still like the Q1 timeframe, but won't etch that in stone. The biggest issues with 1.6 are the new user types and permissions. The other obstacle, is, as you say determining how to release it. We'd love one package that works in both 1.5 and 1.6, but that likely won't be the case. Again, that may change, but still the underlying (99%) of the architecture should remain the same between the 2 releases.
Thanks again for your interest, and we hope to meet your goals soon!
I am hopeful that as many of the lessons learned with 1.5 were carried over in the development of 1.6 there will be less bugs that crop up but only time will tell (still too early to say). Going forward both platforms, 1.5 and 1.6 will still require occasional security updates for security issues that are found (XSS, etc). This is inevitable and given that I think for new sites the best choice is Joomla 1.6 as it will be supported for a longer period of time.
Thank you for your frank assessment on releasing a 1.6 compatible version of JFBConnect. I realize the it is no simple task and having to support both platforms will become quite a handful. I do look forward to its final release (money in hand!) and wish you luck on your progress.
We're currently working on version 3.2 of JFBConnect, which we expect out later this month. We're doing some testing with 1.6 in the process (which it doesn't work for as-is), but are trying to get some things matched up to prepare for our conversion. Right after 3.2 is released (for J1.5 only), we plan to focus on a Joomla 1.6 version of JFBConnect 3.2. We're hopeful this will be a quick process, and can be out shortly after 3.2 (for 1.5) is released. We're not planning on adding new features for the J1.6 version (unless where required), just making it compatible, all in an effort to speed up the timeline.
Hopefully that helps, but I can't give any more firm of a timeline right now, but a version of JFBConnect for J1.5 and J1.6 will be the focal point soon.
Thanks for your interest!
We don't have a beta for 1.6 yet. When the first release is available for 1.6, we'll likely mark it as a release candidate (or something similar) for testing purposes.
We'll update this thread when one is available. JFBConnect 3.2 (for Joomla 1.5) is close to being released. After that, our focus will be on a Joomla 1.6 compatible version.
Thanks for all your interest!
I hope it will not take to long because my subscription is ending soon and it would be a pity when I will just miss it........;
Well it's time for the real question. The devleopers said it would be ready already, but then think about it. K2 decided to skip a 1.6 release. Now there's IE9. And the Facebook login on this site, when I navigated to it from your email, tried to create a popup window, but it got closed by something (possibly a popup blocker in IE8 or System Mechanic or Norton or Google or somethikng else....). It did work when I went to the home page, but getting something like that working reliably is an ongoing problem, and I for one, would rather the develoipers work on something that's reliable in 1.5 than rush a beta out for 1.6. Would it make more sense to rollback to 1.5?
With regards to your subscription, I think you should keep it. New things like IE9 or whatever else happens next are likely to give you problems otherwise. But maybe you like the thrill of the risk
While the 1.6 version has been steadily moved back, we've kept this thread up-to-date with our 'current' timeline, and always put notes saying that things should change. The last messages(s) we posted noted that we're shooting for 3.2 at the end of this month (March), which is still on track and a Joomla 1.6 release will be our focus after that, and we're shooting for late April for that release.
K2, after initially stating they wouldn't support Joomla 1.6, revised their plan and are shooting for a 1.6 compatible release in April as well. For that announcement blog post, see:
The pop-up that you saw on this site was likely Facebook logging you in automatically (a feature of JFBConnect). If you were logged into Facebook already when you clicked that "Login with Facebook" button, there was no need for the authentication window to appear, so Facebook simply redirects you to the page with the correct authorization token. JFBConnect took that and automatically logged you into our site. That's the normal behavior of our extension - Fast, no hassle, logging into any Joomla site.
Finally, as for keeping up with changes to Facebook and browser updates, that's what we do day-in and day-out. It's our jobs and why so many people rely on JFBConnect. Our track record has been very good about fixing any unforseen issues that crop up as Facebook (or browsers) periodicially change, and that takes the stress off end-users quite a bit so they can focus on their site.
We're excited about a 1.6 release. We think Joomla 1.6 is the future, and are excited to be a part of it. It's still very early in the Joomla 1.6 life-cycle so we don't feel behind, and we definitely agree that we don't want to rush into it too quickly. Slow and steady is the best development path, and the course we always take (even if it means a slower release here and there).
Thanks again for all your feedback, and good luck!
Thanks for the K2 info. Very interesting. I'm still considering a rollback and mature 1.5 code rather than 1.6 beta in April, but it would be at least 20 hours work to rollback my site, so I'm hesitating a little.
For the login, maybe I didn't wait long enough. The login automatically from Facebook worked with a few seconds latency without indication it was in process from the home page--the popup window appeared, disappeared, and then after a few seconds, the login occurred. But from the link emailed to me in the forum, I waited a few seconds and when nothing seemed to be happening, went to the home page.
Would a "logging in..." message in the popup be helpful before it disappears, do you think? There's no indication anything is actually happening after it disappears and before the login happens.
Notwithstanding, your product is the best I've seen, so I'm planning to install it in the next two weeks. I'd rather install 1.6 than roll back....but if it's not ready by the 7th, I have no choice
Can I add to this..... I am loving the current version, and I am also keen to progress onto J1.6 however, there is more to worry about than just fbconnect.... There are very limited numbers of modules / plugins / coms supporting 1.6 rigidly at this time, and I agree with the team that getting this right is much more important than releaseing a lame duck..... I am happy to help with beta testing and have a cloud server running for development. Can't wait to see it.... With luck there will also be support jomsocial multi profiles soon :-) who knows...
(Still have to go to home page to log in)
That's true, but the first developers on a new platform are often the best.
Others straggle in with legacy issues, because the source should have been better written in the first place.